Mindful that you may wish a more hands on approach and / or wish to minimise pre build costs, I offer 3 levels of service which will allow you to tailor my service to suit your budget and requirements. I refer to these as Gold, Silver & Bronze service. The service offered for each is based on the above RIBA stages, but briefly they cover:
· Gold Service - the traditional Architectural Service with my preparing sketch designs to identify outline proposals to develop and prepare detailed planning, building warrant, tender and construction drawings as well as administration of tenders from contractors, full site inspection and contract administration during the construction phase;
· Silver Service – sketch designs as above and my preparation of information which will allow for a simpler set of planning and building warrant drawings and also information to allow a good level of detail for tender purposes but not to the detail level of the Gold Service. Tender administration and site inspection services are an optional extra to assist the procurement and build but no contract administration or certificates are issued;
· Bronze Service - sketch designs as above and my preparation of drawings and information for planning and building warrant only. Tender administration and site inspection services are an optional extra to assist the procurement and build but no contract administration or certificates are issued.
For initial design work for each of the Gold, Silver and Bronze services, I generally work on an hourly rate fee up to finalisation of your outline proposals (RIBA Stages 1 and 2). To allow my preparation of these proposals I would look to carry out a measured survey and prepare basic existing house drawings. Preparation of these outline proposals can vary from £500 to £1750 depending on the complexity of the work involved.
From this stage I usually look to work on a lump sum basis based on a percentage of an approximate construction budget cost as the works involved can be more clearly defined BUT until we have your outline proposals in place I cannot be exactly clear on what my final fees may be for stages 3 and 4. I am happy however to confirm an indication of what they may be based on past projects of a similar size and once we have your outline proposals identified I can clarify what the various stage fees will be.
As an indication ONLY, overall fees for each of the Gold, Silver and Bronze service, allowing for provision of services for Stages 1 to 6 noted above, may fall into the following percentage ranges, however final fees are dependent on the complexity and type of project together with service required. Generally, the higher the build cost, the lower the percentage and vice versa:
· New Build Projects: (on projects £150,000 build cost +)
Gold – 5% to 7.5%; Silver – 4% to 6.5%; Bronze – 3% to 5.5%.
· Extension and Alteration Projects: (on projects £25,000 to £200,000 build cost)
Gold – 7.5% to 12.5%; Silver – 5% to 10%; Bronze – 2.5% to 7.5%.
· Projects with a build cost likely to be less than £25,000 and other design work such as Planning In Principle applications or ad-hoc design or technical design works are generally done on an hourly rate. Depending on the nature of the work required, I generally charge an hourly rate from £50 to £90.
If you’re planning a project, please get in touch to arrange my initial free consultation or call if wish to discuss any aspect of my service further. I am happy to be flexible and open to discussion on how you wish to instruct my services and how this might work. I am always happy to discuss my service and the costs relative to each stage in more detail prior to you making a decision on which direction you wish to take in procuring design services for your project.